Before we start anything, let me tell you that I am not a fried dough expert and I literally had to call my mother about this. So the recipe, tips, and tricks are not mine, but my mom’s.
Also, as I am not an expert, this is a down to earth recipe that anyone can do and you can not go wrong with it AT ALL.
So I woke up this Sunday and I was craving Sunday morning fried dough that my mom’s and my grandma used to make – so I did the next best thing – I asked to be guided.
The best thing about fried dough is that you can eat them with whatever you want and you can’t really mess them up. I really like mine with just a bit of feta cheese. Alternatively, you can eat them with jam, Nutella, sugar or even make a sandwich out of them
You will need for 4 people:
- 500 gr of Flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 300ml yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
How to get it done:
- Mix the dry ingredients first – the flour, the salt, the baking soda
- Add the wet
- Mix everything up until it becomes a sticky mass of dough. This is pretty easy if you have a hand mixer (basically use the dough hand mixer component until it’s almost together and then use the hands). Alternatively, just use your hands till it becomes a big sticky mass.
- Cover it in plastic wrap and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- In a hot pan, add a bunch of your favorite cooking oil (sunflower or canola). You need to add enough so that the fried dough can float.
- Divide the dough into small balls as it makes it so much easier to stretch it.
- Here you need to use your hands – just take a bit of oil and cover your palms so the dough doesnt stick and start stretching it. Keep in mind that you need to have a couple of simple holes in it so that it cooks evenly.
- The thinner it is, the crunchier and the faster it will cook. Pick your favorite (or explore as you will have plenty).
- Once the oil is hot, add the stretched dough. Cook them one at a time, please.
- Once done, as they retain a bit of oil, put a paper towel in the plate.
- Eat them with whatever you want.