Chicken wings in the air fryer are not that hard if you follow some extremely simple tips. All you need to do is to properly marinate, coat them with flour, and don’t overcrowd the air fryer pan. This should not be rocket science.
To be honest, I did a bit of research on this and looked at different options that people smarter than me and more experienced than I had tried. My results could be better, but considering that I do not own a fancy expensive air fryer (got mine at a discount for like 35 euros) I am sure that there could be better chicken wings in the air fryer. I would gladly love to hear more details if you have a better air fryer.
Having said that, here are the results of my testing:
- The most important part for the wings to get crispy is not to overcrowd the pan. The rule of thumb that you should follow: if the chicken wings are touching each other, you are overcrowding
- The next is coating. Chicken wings are fatty by default so for them to maintain the moisture you need to coat them with something. Out of all the elements that I tried, simple flour resulted in the best end result
- You will need to marinate them so before coating them in flour, pump them with a lot of marinades. Simple salt and pepper work wonders. I usually add paprika as well. You do not have to be fancy. I also like to marinate the flour a bit, which makes for a better end result.
- Follow your air fryer program to cook chicken. Check it halfway to flip them and you should be fine. I usually do mine for 18 minutes at 200 degrees.
- After cooking, let them sit on a rack. We do not want them to get soggy.
chicken wings in air fryer
- air fryer
For the fried chicken wings
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- 500 gr chicken wings
- 3 tpsp flour
For the sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- hot sauce
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 clove garlic
- Get all the chicken wings dry and at a room temperature
- marinate them with the marinate of your choice. I used salt, pepper and paprika
- coat them in marinated flour and shake the excess. Make sure that everything is coated evenly.
- bake them in the air fryer for 20 min in 200 degrees. flip them halfway
- while they are cooking, in a small pan, add the butter, and in low heat melt it.
- Add the chopped galic and carefully saute them so they do not burn
- then add your hot sauce and the soy sauce. The soy sauce is optional, but for me it makes it a bit sticky. Depending on your hot sauce always. I used piri piri because i had piri piri
- Once the chicken is ready, take them out and let them in a wire rack. it helps the meat relax. I usually add the ones that I want to be coated in the sauce a minute or so after taking them out of the air-fryer. The rest can chill there