Baba ganoush is a great eggplant based dip that will blow your mind as it features only a couple of ingredients and it gives your table a great Mediterranean flavor easily.
tl;dr: Bake the eggplant and blitz the insides with tahini, lemon juice, paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper.
What are the things that you need to consider:
- baba ganoush has a distinctive smoky flavor. That comes from either grilling the eggplant or just using smoke paprika to simulate it
- eggplant tends to be bitter and fairly watery – add some salt and let it sit for a couple of minutes
- this is a vegan dish – maybe you are interested to know that.
- You need to adjust – as this is very dependant on the taste profile and very dependant on the type of eggplant that you have. Sometimes eggplants tend to be sweeter, bitter, juicier, with a lot more seeds. As such the beauty of this recipe is the adjusting that you will need to do.
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 eggplant
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 1 chopped garlic
- olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper
Baba ganoush recipe process:
- Cut the eggplant in half and add some salt on it. Let is sit for 10 minutes.
- Wipe the water that it’s formed on top and place the eggplant cut face down in an oven at 250 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Scoop the eggplant meat and put them in a blender.
- Add some olive oil, the tahini, the garlic, and the lemon juice
- Blitz and then taste.
- Adjust depending on your taste profile. I would say from the start that 1 tablespoon of tahini is not enough, but it gives you space to play around.
Condiments for dipping:
- Any type of fresh vegetable, that being fennel, carrots, cucumbers, celery – whatever
- Any type of toasted bread. This is generally served with toasted pita, but whatever works