Cacio e Pepe: Easiest, simplest yet most glorious pasta recipe in the world
…perfect for any ocasion
They say that this is one of the oldest recipes that you can find, some debating that it is roman, some others debating that it is wrong. Keeping in mind that we are in no way puritans of anything, and in this page is just for people that are trying to make it to work in time, a simple pasta recipe, whose hardest part is the waiting time for the pasta to boil, sounds too good to be true.
You know what they say, when it is too good to be true, it usually it isn’t. For Cacio e Pepe this is somewhat true – because this pasta will get you fat. Now not all my recipes will get you fat though. Most are healthy. Check out some of them here
150 grams of pasta. Would recommend something like linguine or spaghetti.
3 tablespoons butter,
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
1/3 cup finely grated Pecorino
What to try
- Boil the pasta in marinated water in salt, pepper and olive oil. Make sure to boil 1 minute less than the prescribed time. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water
- Melt the 2/3 of the butter in a large pan – be careful on the heat though – you do not want to burn it.
- Add the pepper and mix it around for around a minute or so in the pan
- Add about half a cup of the pasta water and let it simmer.
- Then add the pasta, the rest of the butter
- At this moment it is time to put the heat down to low and add the cheese. If you have only one type of cheese, then add only one type of cheese.
- For the case at hand, pecorino romano is a very sutle cheese and extremely tender, so just remove the pan from the heat while you mix it up.
- The whole point of this exercise is to melt all the cheese! Now depending on the case, if the pasta looks like it is very dry, add a tiny bit more butter and some pasta water. It will loosen it right up!
- Please, for the love of what’s holly, eat this dish right away!
Read this mouthwatering and completely biased(of my love of Italy obviously) food guide on how to handle your foodgasms in Milano.
Sometimes just chicken and rice is not enough and it gets boring. If you want to explore a little more, here are a couple of tricks that can elevate those easy recipes with an added tingle.
Frankfurt is NOT cheap in any way. It is considered to be one of the typical consultant’s city, where people take the train every day to work here, but not live here. Sometimes though, it can be.