I realized that how to microwave a potato is one of those typical kitchenette issues that one can have. For you to be able to microwave a full potato there are a couple of things that are needed to be taken into account.
tl;dr: poke the potato all around, microwave on high 5 min on one side, 5 minutes on the other cut in half and microwave some more if necessary.
- The skin of the potatoes is important as it would act as a cover and protector so that it does not get that stupid microwave burn.
- You will need a microwave-safe plate to get everything going.
- Aim to microwave smaller potatoes rather than huge potatoes. They will take less time and make your life easier.
- If you can opt for another way of cooking potatoes as this way is only if you have no other choice – not because you are lazy.
- Please, please, please carefully wash the potato. They are some of the dirtiest vegetables out there.
How to actually get it done
- Poke a washed potato with a fork all around.
- In a microwave-safe plate, place the potato and put it in a microwave on the highest setting of a normal home appliance.
- Microwave for 5 minutes on one side
- Carefully switch on the other for another 5 minutes
- Take it out and slice it in half. If the center is soft – you are good to go. If not, microwave it for 1 or 2 more minutes
Btw if you are interested in more potato related recipes, check here for our extensive potato recipes. For example – make it in a potato soup. As always, do not forget to check out our Instagram for more information.