For me, savory spinach and feta pie is a staple of the summer when the spinach is fresh and your Sundays are bliss. This is an oversimplification of the recipe so that everyone can enjoy this savory goodness.
First and foremost I would highly recommend using fresh spinach for this – but if you don’t have it, then frozen will be just fine as well.
- About 250gr of fresh spinach
- One garlic clove
- 50-100gr of feta cheese depending on how cheesy you feel
- One puff pastry from the supermarket
Savory spinach and feta pie recipe
- In a cold pan, add the spinach and turn on the heat to medium.
- Let the spinach sweat it out. It may seem like a lot of spinach, but it’s not. Just mix it around.
- Once the spinach sweats and the water evaporates, add a bit of olive oil and the garlic. Marinate it as you see fit.
- Cook it for 5 minutes and remove from the heat
- Crumble the feta on top and mix it up. The residual heat will melt the feta cheese and this is what you should aim for.
- Now give it a quick taste. Adjust if necessary.
- Cut the pastry – mine took 4 rectangles.
- Heat the oven at 180 degrees
- Add a tablespoon or so of the spinach mixture to the pastry on one half and use the other half to cover. Use the fork to stick together the parts.
- Do the same thing for every single one of the 3 other rectangles.
- Place them in the oven tray
- The best thing would be to give them a quick egg wash on top – but you know – I did not have any leftover eggs at that time, so this is without.
- Bake it for 15-20 min or till the puff pastry is cooked properly.