Chicken with peppers sounds such a weird combination, but this recipe features a tasty chicken with oft peppers on a homemade tomato sauce – SO GOOD!
tl;dr: cook a can of tomatoes; fry the peppers and remove skins; sear the chicken and add some liquid, put them all a big pot in low heat, and finalize.
if you are feeling fancy, make this new approach to a squid salad as well.
- 500gr of chicken – I have around me chicken drumsticks and thigh which I have taken apart.
- 200gr of peeled tomatoes – basically half a can
- 3 bell peppers, for a cool color, one red, one yellow one green
- 200ml white wine
- fresh basil
- salt, pepper, sugar, olive oil
The chicken with peppers step by step recipe:
- Throw 100 ml of wine in a glass and start drinking it. We just wanna make sure that you are having fun while cooking and also that you are not using very bad wine for this. If you can drink it, you can cook with it.
- Clean up the chicken, dry it up, and properly marinate it with salt and pepper. Set it aside.
- In a hot pan, add some olive oil, the finely chopped garlic and let it cook a bit. Then add the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Once they start bubbling, add a bit of sugar and one or two fresh basil leaves. lower the heat and let is reduce for around 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, as the tomatoes become a proper tomato sauce, you will need to fry the peppers. For this, you can choose whatever makes you happy. The easiest would be in a pan with a bit of oil and sear them. We are not looking for them to be properly cooked – but just a bit before.
- Take the peppers off the heat and start peeling the skin. Now this is optional, but it will go a long way as that whole mixture will be such a tender side for the chicken. After peeling them, cut them in strips.
- In a deep pot, add olive oil and throw in the chicken, skin side down. We are looking for an awesome golden sear on all sides.
- Upon golden chicken, add the rest of the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan, lower the heat a bit and let the wine cook the chicken for 10 minutes.
- Then add the tomato sauce and the pepper and let it cook on low for another 10 minutes.
- Check for salt and pepper now. As we did not tackle it before because there are a lot of moving parts
Check this medium post about a literal food for thought.