Easy chicken gyros to die for
…summer in an ethnic sandwich
So let’s say that it is the middle of the summer and there is nothing better than spending most of your day at the beach, but when you are stuck in the office how do you deal with the pain…you eat junk food. Now here at Kitchenette Recipes, we like to revolutionize junk.
The expression that everything that you want is either fattening, expensive and doesn’t call back is not entirely true. These chicken gyros are a healthier experience and truthfully not that expensive.
Unfortunately, it is not the middle of the summer – but it is the end of the year and the weather features a whole lot of shades of gray (get it haha)
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 cucumber
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 spinach leaf
- 1 tomato
- 4 greek pitas (available in almost every supermarket.
- 100 gr Greek yogurt
- fresh basil and fresh mint leaves
- dried oregano
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
steps to happiness
My recipes are defined into steps, so here it goes:
- Doing the Tzaziki is easy – usually, you can use yogurt or yogurt cream, add half of the cucumber, diced, the garlic, diced, salt, pepper – I like little-chopped basil and mint on mine – some extra virgin olive oil and let it sit in the fridge while you cook the chicken
- Cut the chicken breast into 3 thin pieces – usually, it takes about one piece per gyro so do as many as you want. I like to marinate chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Now you do not have to bother with so many ingredients, but feel free.
- When done, take them out of the oil and let them sit on paper towels. Let them sit, and then slice them into long pieces
- Get rid of the excess oil from the pan, dry the extra with paper towels, and put one of the pitas. Here we are trying to keep it a little lean, but adding a little olive oil to the pan is not bad either.
- Be careful not to burn them.
- Once they get a little crispy, take them out of the pan, spread the tzatziki, add the chicken, tomato slices, cucumber slices, pepper slices, onion slices, salt and add an extra layer of tzatziki.
- Roll them and serve them immediately.