Recently we have been exploring a bit with a bit more complex recipes(such as coconut chicken) to simplify them and debunk their problematic and time-consuming approach. Today we will focus on coconut milk and what we can do with it.
I am sure that you have heard of curry chicken. Everything that we will do today will be similar, but without the curry powder – so if you want to do curry chicken, all you have to do is add the curry powder to it.
I will not tell you that you will not enjoy the coconut drumsticks by themselves, but adding a bit a zing to your zang is necessary. As such we need a filler, like rice, and some umami component, which is the mushrooms. The combination of them all makes for an amazing dish.
On a side note, here is how you can elevate and fancy up cheap and easy meals.
For that you will need:
For the coconut drumsticks
- 500 grams of chicken drumsticks
- 200-250 ml of coconut milk
- a bit of garlic
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Paprika, salt, and pepper
For the rice:
- one cup of rice
- 2 cups of water
For the mushrooms
- Fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Paprika, salt, and pepper
How to get it done:
- Get the drumsticks, dry them with toilet paper and marinate them with salt pepper and paprika
- In a thick and deep pot put some oil in high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, place the drum sticks and give them a very nice sear from all sides. We want the skin to get crispy
- Dump in the coconut milk, add a clove of garlic and whatever aromatics that you may have around (like bay leaf or whatnot)
- Lower the heat and let them simmer for at least 30 minutes. This will cook the chicken thoroughly, soften them up and get them all juicy.
- Generally, you can see if it is done if you push the knife in the thickest part of the drumstick and the juice that is coming is clear.
- What are expecting here very soft chicken drumsticks that basically are destroyed with a spoon
- If you want to thicken and add a bit of taste, some butter is always a good idea in the end
- After the coconut chicken is done, let is settle for a second and start on the mushrooms
For the Mushrooms
- In a hot pan with olive oil, add the sliced mushrooms and let them sear till the moisture is evaporated.
- At this point just add some salt and pepper and chopped garlic
- Let it sear properly.
- Remove and place in a plate. Here we are waiting for a lot of flavour
For the rice
- In a pot add one cup of rice and 2 cups of water
- Bring to boil
- Lower the heat to low and cover to simmer
- Cook for 15 minutes.
How to serve
Generally speaking, this can go at this in two ways:
- You are trying to impress someone you should put a bed of rice, e side of two drumsticks with a bit of the coconut chicken sauce and a tablespoon of fried mushrooms
- If you are trying to enjoy a simple dinner at home, just put the pots and the pans in the table and share like this is supposed to
Note: I am a native albanian speaker and you can find these recipes in albanian at Delicious.al